I know what it’s like to be anxious. Even when I was a young child, I had a tendency to worry. Fortunately, my anxiety proved to be a blessing since it caused me to seek comfort by turning to the Lord. Whenever I give talks about the subject of anxiety, I like to open the Bible and highlight some of Jesus’ comments about the subject. His words are clear and to the point and far more effective than any advice I could give. If you’re a worrier, here are 10 things Jesus wants you to know about anxiety. Some are statements and some are questions, but they are all designed to help you feel His peace.
1. “Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself.” (Matthew 6:34)
2. “Why are you afraid, have you no faith?” (Mark 4:40)
3. “And which of you, by being anxious can add a cubit to his span of life? If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest?” (Luke 12:25-26)
4. “Do not be anxious about your life, what you shall eat or what you shall drink, nor about your body, what you shall put on.” (Matthew 6:25)
5. “Take heart, it is I; have no fear.” (Mark 6:50)
6. “Do not be afraid.” (Matthew 28:10)
7. “Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.” (Luke 12:32)
8. “Do not fear, only believe.” (Mark 5:36)
9. “Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me.” (John 14:1)
Hey, wait a minute…that’s only 9…where’s the 10th quote? Good point, but we need to change direction for a minute. In the next quote, Jesus once again tells us not be afraid (in this case, of those who persecute us or threaten us with harm), but He also tells us that we SHOULD be afraid of something. Although we worry about many things, this one is usually not on our list, but it should be. The fear of the evil one (and the threat of eternal damnation) should motivate us to stay close to the Lord and follow His commands. If we do that, we’ll be fine!
10. “Do not fear those who can kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.” (Matthew 10:28)
There you have it, 10 direct quotes from Jesus about anxiety. Do you feel better? Me too. Keep these handy and refer to them often. When you’re temped to worry, read them over again and see how you feel. As Christians, we shouldn’t have to worry…we have Jesus. He is the ultimate cure for the anxiety in our lives. Please share this list with your fellow “worriers” so that others can experience the Lord’s peace!